Monday, April 14, 2008

Entertain Me


Throwing parties is a secret favorite of mine... who am I kidding. Anyone who has known me for 5 minutes knows I love to entertain. It's in my blood. My mom's side of the family might take the gold medal for hostess with the mostest skills. I've learned from the best.

So tomorrow I am throwing a better late than never birthday party for L & L. Their b-days were in December.... Oops. But it's okay because this winter no one wanted to leave their house and venture out in the snow and ice and freezing temps unless I could promise really good things once they got here. Unless you love baked goods I doubt anything was worth coming over for.

Here we are in mid-April, as an homage to the groups mutual love for the wee little boy Chance Crawford (I don't care if he is young enough for me to have babysat at some point) I have themed the party Gossip Girl. This is also in honor of it's return next Monday, April 21. Have you all seen those promo posters?! Yowza. I've been trying my darndest to snag one for the party but can't seem to peel them off a building without ripping the thing to shreds. If anyone can snag me one by tomorrow it would be much appreciated. Gracias.

For those who don't know, recently I've found myself with more time on my hands than usual. I hate to be bored just about more than anything in the whole world so... I've been going a little nutty planning this party. Yesterday I bought fancy new cups at Crate and Barrell, I am planning on making tissue paper flowers to decorate the table, I'm putting together little goodie bags for everyone and the menu has taken me quite a bit of research time. Thank goodness the time on my hands is short term. I'd go broke from party planning.

This afternoon I made these delicious baby button cookies that are going to look darling in the new glass bowl I bought just for them.

I've also whipped up a homemade honey cinnamon frosting for the cupcakes I am making tomorrow.

Frosting is as follows:
- 1 stick of softened butter (the recipe called for unsalted but I just used regular butter and I think it tastes fine)
- 1.5 tbsp of honey
- 1/2 tbsp of cinnamon (as always, I use the good stuff from The Spice House)
- 1.25 cups of powdered sugar

I think we will also be having some type of fancy champagne cocktail (to go in the new glasses) mini-chicken pesto sandwiches, bloody mary shrimp cocktail and assorted nibbley things like nuts and dips, etc...

If you love frosting but don't have time to make cupcakes, I highly recommend that cinnamon frosting on pretzels. I may have had a few dips this afternoon.

Clearly, if anyone needs a party to be planned in the near future you know who to call.

No comments: